A four-week residency program at WRO Art Center for artists/curators/art mediators based in Austria
The WRO Center for Media Art Foundation in cooperation with the Austrian Cultural Forum in Warsaw and the Artist In Residence Programme AIR Wro launches an open call for one artist-in-residence position at WRO Art Center, Wroclaw, Poland.
Dates and deadlines:
application deadline: August 28th, 2017
announcement of the elected artist: September 6th, 2017
residency period: October 1st-31st, 2017
Who can apply?
Artists/curators/art mediators based in Austria, working with video, installation, digitization and archiving who want to:
- prepare and present together with our team of curators & archivists a screening program with videos from the WRO archive & collection within the cycle Tapes: Rewind. The theme of the program would refer to William Gibson’s Neuromancer’s opening sentence: “The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead channel”
- propose and carry out a 1-3 day long workshop (or another form of creative activity) connected with his/her practice and the actual process of elaborating the WRO archive, and curate a screening program
The Media Art Biennale WRO 2017 DRAFT SYSTEMS and the ongoing exhibition presenting its audiovisual documentation provide the conceptual frame for the activities conducted during the residency. The workshop / activity shall be conceived for a certain target audience, preferably for & with students, grown-up and senior citizens.
Key words: tech-noir, cyberpunk, air/sky pollution, systems, draft, ecology, art, manifestation, technological dystopia, communication, artist’s presence, social interaction
We look for an engaged and a self-reliant person who enjoys team working in the field of audience-oriented, inclusive art practices.
- excellent verbal/non-verbal communication skills
- English language skills desirable
- experience in working in different contexts and teams
- high level of responsibility and empathy
- openness and sharing attitude, enthusiasm about direct work with the audience
- handling data bases
- video filming and editing
- handling analog video media
The selected artist-in-residence will be offered a free accommodation in an apartment at the Edith-Stein-House, a work place in the premises of WRO Art Center (no separate studio), a residency grant of 600 EUR (calculated on the basis of 20 EUR/day) and a travel cost refund of max. 250 EUR. There is a budget for workshop materials in the amount of max. 200 EUR.